Thousands of bloggers are writing about poverty today and offering radical ways to end poverty. It is an interesting idea and has produced some great posts. My BAD post is simply a wrap-up to the Team World Vision fundraising!! I am so super excited that my family and friends were willing to donate over $2,100 towards World Vision and supporting my marathon. You can see my official BAD post here.
I know World Vision will put that money to great use in eliminating poverty in Africa. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
A quick thought about ways that I'm involved in eliminating poverty:
- Working for an inner-city school with a large immigrant population - trying to find ways to enhance the learning environment and educational experiences for 400 kids.
- Tutoring Somali adults so that they can learn English and obtain US Citizenship.
- Providing another peaceful presence on our block and being involved in the neighborhood.
- Being involved in a church that is focused on show the love of Jesus to our neighbors.
- We support a child in Ghana through World Vision.
- We partner with several friends who are working internationally trying to bring peace and justice to the communities they work in.
- We recently made a small business loan through OptINNow a Christian micro-lending organization. Our loan helped a Kenyan man expand his retail outlet.
- We haven't done this in awhile, but shopping at a Goodwill or Salvation Army store gives you some great deals while supporting their job training programs.
- We actively advocate for the end of Genocide and other issues related to international and local poverty.
- I blog a lot about social justice and poverty!