You may or may not know that I've been on the job market for awhile now. So when I see a blog offering advice about the job search I stop and read it. One of the blogs I read, Free Money Finance recently posted How Not to Get a Job.
Some of the 20 things she mentions are funny like:
- The job hunter delivered his entire cover letter in the form of a rap song.
- The job hunter brought his mother to the interview and let her do all the talking
- A job candidate attached a letter from her mother.
- A job candidate used pale blue paper with teddy bears printed around the border.
- A job candidate explained a three-month gap in employment by saying that he was getting over the death of his cat.
- A job candidate specified that his availability to work Fridays, Saturdays, or Sundays is limited because the weekends are "drinking time."
- A job candidate stated that he works well in the nude.
But some of the comments left are even funnier. People who showed up in their sweatpants or misspelled words like proofreading!
Now for a selfish plug. You can see my resume here (pdf).